Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:49:19 -0700
From:      "John Merryweather Cooper" <coop9211@uidaho.edu>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   [BUG REPORT] Off by one error in initializing unit number for PCCARD NICs in both recent 4.8-STABLE and 5.1-RELEASE

Because of the nature of this bug, I have no network access on my =
FreeBSD
machine and so I'm filing this off my wife's laptop.  I can't send-pr in =
any
other manner. Would someone please post this

SYSTEM

IBM 380XD Thinkpad Laptop running either a recent (post-May) 4.8-STABLE =
or
5.1-RELEASE (off the ISO images off ftp.freebsd.org).

The 5.1 kernel was recompiled with OLDCARD support since NEWCARD fails =
in
other ways.

Using Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PCCARD Nic or NetGear Wireless (xe and =
wi
respectively)

SYMPTOMS

Boot and detect occur normally.  However, as the PCCARD device is being
brought up, the PCCARD subsystem is starting with a unit number of -1
instead of 0.  Hence, I get messages indicating attempts to start xe-1 =
which
always fail. Prior to May, STABLE was fine.

When I recompiled STABLE and found myself without network access. I =
decided
to install a clean install of 5.1-RELEASE.  To my chagrin, the same =
problem
exists on 5.1-RELEASE too.

WORKAROUND

None known.