Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 11:22:50 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        randal@mailrelay.hits.net, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xircom Watchdog Time-out Bug

On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 01:10:05AM -1000, Randal Masutani wrote:
> Yes, I have tried different hub/switches.  I always get a time-out but
> sometimes only one and at other times many.  Yes, I eventually get it to
> work most times after removing and reinserting the card.  Forcing it to a
> particular type didn't seem to work to well.
>
> >From what I gather from the debug statements it appears that it is not
> reading the PHY status (BMSR register) properly, since it is getting back
> a 0 (null) result.  Maybe there is not enough delay or wait states
> between reading or writing to the PHY registers?

Maybe, although I think the delays are already longer than they need to be.
Just watch how long it takes to grind through the autonegotiation process
:-(

> I have looked at the source code and also source from the Linux driver
> and the sdk kit from Xircom, they all are a little different in the
> procedure on how to read and write data to the MII registers.

True enough... I lifted the MII code from one of the other drivers in the
3.1R (?) tree and it hasn't been updated since then.  I will follow up on
Mike Smith's suggestion and look at the more recent miibus code.

	Scott