Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:37:55 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Mac Newbold <newbold@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ESS Technology Allegro-1 with 4.7-STABLE

Mac Newbold wrote:

> My old Compaq box with an Allegro soundcard in the motherboard used to
> work fine (after a lot of work) under 4.0-RELEASE. Now under 4.7-STABLE,
> it doesn't work anymore, and won't play anything except system beeps. At
> one point I was also running 4.4-STABLE (and 4.6-STABLE, too I think),
> and it would occasionally give me "channel dead" messages, and would come
> back alive after a reboot sometimes.
>
> /dev/sndstat says:
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
> Installed devices:
> pcm0:  at io 0x1400 irq 5 (4p/1r/0v channels duplex)
>
> I've been trying to play mp3's with mpg123, amp, etc., and have tried
> cat'ing wav files and other data at /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, etc. to no
> avail.
>
> Anyone have any pointers on what may be wrong or what I could do to get it
> working again?
>
> About the only possiblity I have been able to think of is that the work I
> did to get it going under 4.0-RELEASE may need to be partly or completely
> undone, now that the driver is included in -STABLE. But I didn't want to
> try anything without advice from Someone Who Knows.
>
> Thanks,
> Mac

I co-wrote the maestro3 driver, and I'm ashamed to say that it's started
to rot.  Unfortunately, I no longer having working hardware to support
this anymore (the laptop it was in died about 9 months ago).  If someone
knows where I can get a PCI add-in-card version of either the Allegro-1
or Maestro-3 then I'd be happy to keep on supporting it.  Until then, I
apologize for not being able to do much with it.  One thing you might
try is reducing the number of playback channels to 1 via the M3_PCHANS
macro in /sys/dev/sound/pci/maestro3.c.

Scott