Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 05:22:43 -0800
From:      Steve Reid <sreid@sea-to-sky.net>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [btellier@USA.NET: Several FreeBSD-3.3 vulnerabilities]

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 01:24:58PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> If you're not going to badger a port's maintainer until he/she does
> something, you're unlikely to get results out of a single request.
> That's why the PR system is good.  The PR sits there pissing us off
> until someone does something about it. :-)

In my case I don't think it would've made a difference. Something _was_
done about it, but it was a halfway job. If it had been reported via a
PR the PR would probably have been closed.

I also didn't initally know if it was a FreeBSD problem or a [program in
question] problem. I wanted to send to the program maintainer and the
port maintainer just to be sure. I regret not cc'ing
security-officer@freebsd.org; I remembered to do that this time.

Like it or not email is a more-or-less universal form of communication.
Send-pr is not. If the software maintainers can't deal with security
issues sent in email form, that's a problem. And it's a problem not
shared by the folks on Bugtraq.