Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:07:05 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

At 11:49 PM 1/15/02 +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> > If you found it to be inadequate, then please
> > submit a PR explaining what the problem with it is.
>
>How would submitting a PR tell me the correct values for the product,
>vendor, release, class, subclass, and protocol fields?

Anthony,

Direct from the usbd.conf(5) man page:

The values for the fields product, vendor, release, class, subclass and
protocol can be retrieved by killing the usbd daemon and running it with
the -d and -v flags.

We can scratch the speculation that the docs are deficient, at least in
this respect. Take that information and use it to get to the next step. If
following the above man page does not yield the expected information, that
sounds like grounds for a PR, unless something else is going on elsewhere
that would explain the aberrant behavior. (I have no suggestions as I have
never set up any USB device on FreeBSD, or any other OS aside from Windows
or MacOS.)

I sincerely hope that information helps you solve your problem, or at least
gets you a step closer to diagnosing the cause. That's all in terms of my
techncial suggestions.

The following is getting off topic for -questions and I hesitated to
include it at all, but...

Regarding your question "How would submitting a PR tell me the correct
values for the product,
vendor, release, class, subclass, and protocol fields," I wasn't implying
that it would, as I didn't even realize that's what you were trying to
determine at the time that I suggested it.

Asking that question is like asking "How will calling the power company to
tell them the power's out allow me to watch the baseball game on
television?" Letting someone know there's something wrong is just the first
step - doing so makes it pretty likely that you can watch the game that's
on tomorrow, or next week, or next month, but what it doesn't mean is the
power company's going to deliver a battery-powered TV to your home in the
next 10 minutes just to satisfy you.

Had you asked the question, "Where do I find the proper values for the
product, vendor, release, class, subclass, and protocol fields," I wouldn't
have thought twice about pointing you to the man page and just leaving it
at that; anyone can make an oversight.

There is no sarcasm or malice intended here, but I feel I need to say this:
Judging from the fact you asked such a question, as well as from your
previous responses - which at least via e-mail sound indignant and arrogant
- you are basically saying that you show no interest in sending a PR in any
event, or in making any effort to fix a given problem and therefore expect
someone else to spoon-feed you the information you need. (If this is not
actually the way you feel, I apologize, but please understand that this is
the impression that I get from your messages. The lesson here is, please
pose your questions differently.)

Sending PR's brings any issue you have to the direct attention of the
people most qualified to handle it, many of whom are actually *not* on this
particular FreeBSD list, so you are actually delaying any solution to the
problem by keeping it shrouded in obscurity. A problem in the code may only
crop up on your specific hardware setup, so it might not be obvious to
someone working on a different machine - it's to your benefit as well as
that of everyone else to try to figure out what's happening and bring it to
the maintainer's attention.

If you don't wish to do so, that's fine - that is your prerogative. In
running FreeBSD or any other free OS, it is not required that you give
anything back, but responding with indignance when someone suggests that
you do so is not a good way to make friends or earn people's respect.

If you find a workaround or a solution for your problem, but refuse to send
a PR explaining how to reproduce and resolve the error even though you are
able to do so, you are tacitly refusing to help anyone who has the same
problem later on. So, if you are not willing to submit a PR, you are
essentially not interested in helping others, nor are you interested in
helping yourself - both in the short- to mid-term by finding a real
solution, as well as in the long-term by contributing to the evolution of a
more robust system.

If, once you get your device working, it turns out there's a bug in part of
the system or the documentation was not adequate, then please submit the PR
and prove me, as well as other people who may feel the same, wrong.

Best of luck.

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM