Date:      26 Nov 2002 09:49:03 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Paul <pao@ukc.ac.uk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad R31 - Lucent windmodem woes....

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 02:24, Wes Peters wrote:
> > luthien# ppp
> > Working in interactive mode
> > Using interface: tun0
> > ppp ON luthien> dial isp
> > Warning: deflink: /dev/cual0: Bad file descriptor
> > ppp ON luthien>
> >
> > However the file is there:
> >
> > luthien# ls -la /dev/cual0
> > crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer  228, 128 Nov 25 10:29 /dev/cual0
>
> cual0 (or sio0) is almost certainly NOT your winmodem.  I suspect it is
> an onboard serial or IR port, as is sio1.  More reading of the ltmdm
> documentation might reveal how to discover what sio device node is
> associated with the winmodem when the module attaches.  You'll then need
> to use the /dev/MAKEDEV script to create /dev entries for that sio node
> if you don't already have them.

Actually, cual0 IS the ltmdm device node name..
(Along with ttyl0)

Of course it doesn't work if the driver doesn't attach.

If Paul runs "dmesg | grep ltmdm" he should see a line like ->
ltmdm0: <Lucent Winmodem> port 0xe800-0xe8ff,0xecb8-0xecbf mem 0xf8ffec00-0xf8ffecff irq 11 at device 8.0 on pci8
ltmdm0: type Virtual 16550A

If not it wasn't detected. In that case it either isn't a lucent
winmodem, or, if it is the PCI ID isn't known.

BTW while on general principle I don't like win modems etc, these ones
DO seem to work quite well.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5