Date:      Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:59:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        John Mok <jmok@attglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall + NAT Traversal + IPsec

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, John Mok wrote:

> To my understanding, the mechanism of how NAT works is that, the client
> connections from the intranet are mapped to separate ports on the NAT with
> one single IP address by means of a mapping table, such that the reply packet
> from the outside to the NAT could be reversely mapped to the respective
> client connections. If there are more than one VPN clients being NATed to the
> VPN gateway, and all client isakmp connections to port 500 are mapped to port
> 500 on the external interface of the NAT, then how the NAT could reversely
> mapped the isakmp replies to the clients unambigously?

Sorry the one Caveat i forgot is that I can only have one VPN session at a
time, If you are likely to have multiple users using the vpn at one
time then it wont work. if you have multiple VPN users accessing the same
checkpoint then have a look at making a lan to lan tunnel, see:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/checkpoint/
its a little old and you need to do some config on the checkpoint, but its
a good starting point.

Vince