Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:24:47 -0700
From:      Darren Spruell <darren_spruell@sento.com>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ftp_proxy syntax

Hi,

I'm trying to enable apps such as ftp and yafc to use our Squid proxy
for outgoing FTP connections, but my environment variable doesn't seem
to work...

[darren@freebsd:~]$ echo $SHELL
/usr/local/bin/bash
[darren@freebsd:~]$ export ftp_proxy="squid.sento.com:8080"
[darren@freebsd:~]$ echo $ftp_proxy
squid.sento.com:8080
[darren@freebsd:~]$ ftp ftp.FreeBSD.org
^C[darren@freebsd:~]$ yafc ftp.FreeBSD.org
yafc 0.7.10 Copyright (C) 1998-2001 Martin Hedenfalk <mhe@home.se>.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type 'warranty'.
This is free software; type 'copyright' for details.

Connecting to ftp.beastie.tdk.net (62.243.72.50) at port 21...

...and just sits there. Shouldn't the connection be made to
squid.sento.com:8080?

Trying to run 'ftp ftp.gnu.org' from shell ends up doing the same thing.
What am I doing wrong? I know our proxy listens on 8080 and supports FTP.

TIA,

--
Darren Spruell
Sento IS Department