Date:      Wed, 01 Sep 1999 08:47:59 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, (Rich Winkel) <rich@chumbly.math.missouri.edu>
Subject:   Re: Sun to buy staroffice & release source ?

On 01-Sep-99 Chad R. Larson wrote:
> As I recall, Rich Winkel wrote:
>> See http://cnn.com/cnnfn/1999/08/30/deals/wires/sun_wg/
>
> Sun did buy Star Division.  Last week.
>
> Start your research at http://www.sun.com/staroffice/
>
> This week they announced that they were selling StarOffice for $0 on
> the supported platforms (Windows/95/98/NT, Solaris x86 & SPARC,
> Linux and OS/2).  Downloads free, a CD-ROM with all platform's
> binaries for about $10 (plus S&H).  I ordered two CD-ROMs from the
> web site for a total of $28.  And I downloaded the Solaris/SPARC
> version and installed it on one of our E450s this evening.
>
> They also stated they would be releasing the source code under the
> "Sun Community Source License", which is pretty close to Open
> Source.  It fails a bit in that changes you create become property
> of Sun, but not too bad, really.
>
> The stated purpose of the purchase of Star Division was to obtain
> needed functionality (an office suite) for Solaris.  The stated
> reason for the open source move was the hoped for rapid improvement
> in stability, bug fixes and import/export filters.  To which
> everyone said, "Yeah, right."  This is an in-your-face to Micro$oft.
>
> This must screw the Applixware folks pretty royally.  I have no idea
> what this means to the FreeBSD mall folks who are paying for an
> Applixware port.  But who here isn't rubbing their hands for the
> native BSD StarOffice port that must be soon to follow?

I have used both Applix and StarOffice. I like Applix more, it feels cleaner in
some respects and definately consumes less memory. Given a BSD port for Appplix
I'd buy it. I use Applix now for all desktopping tasks I know of...

I do wish StarOffice a bright future though.

Cheers,
Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se