Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:30:46 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   cookies vs. sup updates

I've discovered an interesting systemic problem with the ports system
The ports system has an implicit assumption that updating the ports
tree will remove all the cookies. When this doesn't happen, the world
stops behaving in a sane manner.

The first noticable instance is that "pkg_version -c" doesn't actually
rebuild or install things. In the sequence

	cd <PORTDIR>
	make && pkg_delete -f <PKG>
	make intall

the make & make install will do nothing, because the cookies are in
place.

The most interesting cases happen with ports that are partially
installed and then updated. For instance, you've installed the port,
then deinstalled it. At a later date, after updating the port in
/usr/ports, a "make install" will jump straight into trying to install
the port - but the software the port will be trying to install a
different version of the software than it actually has.

Since we now have PORTREVISION - and that is hopefully changed even if
PORTVERSION isn't - the Makefile should change if the port changes.
It seems like having the various cookies depend on the Makefile would
solve the problems I'm having, and wouldn't break anything during
normal use. Debugging ports might be more interesting, but possibly a
knob could fix that.

Since I'm not subscribed to -ports, please cc: me on any replies.

	Thanx,
	<mike