Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:13:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb.quenot@caraldi.com>
Cc:        orlando.bassotto@ieo-research.it
Subject:   Re: VMware3 on recent 5.2-CURRENT

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Jean-Baptiste Quenot wrote:

> Since I upgraded to 5.2-CURRENT, the system crashes as soon as the vmmon
> module is loaded,  with or without WITNESS.  Disabling ACPI  by typing 2
> at the boot prompt does not help either.
>
> Please  find below  some  transcriptions  of the  panics.   If you  need
> complete stack traces, I can manage to do it...

> Booting with WITNESS disabled
> on pre-existing device (maj=0, min=0, name=console)
> at line 495 in file /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_conf.c
> cpuid=0;

Device 0,0 has magic initialization in kern_conf.c, and anyway, it is an
error to initialize a device twice.  This error is detected and causes a
panic if INVARIANTS is configured.

> db> trace
> __panic

make_dev() detects the vmware bug and panics.

> make_dev		+0x98

Here vmware apparently initializes the device twice.

> init_module		+0x83
> vmmon_modevent		+0x2d
> module_register_init	+0x5a
> linker_file_sysinit	+0x7d
> linker_load_file	+0xdd
> linker_load_module
> kldload
> syscall
>
> db> panic
>
> Fatal trap 3: breakpoint instruction fault while in kernel mode

The ddb command "panic" has been broken for many years, at least if
the debugger_on_panic sysctl is enabled.  Although I wrote it, I'm not
sure if it ever worked.  Now it results in the debugger attempting to
reenter itself via a breakpoint instruction.  This never worked, and
is detected (at last now).  Control is returned to trap() and trap()
panics again with the above message.  So we're nested 3 deep in panics:
first there is the primary panic, then the one from ddb, then the one
for ddb's panic command shooting ddb.  This is unrelated to the vmware
bug.

Bruce