Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:56:06 -0400
From:      Justin Wells <jread@semiotek.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cannot buildworld under securelevel

Well, I decided to play with some FreeBSD security stuff, so the other
day I set my system to run in a securelevel. After I got that working OK,
I decided to give "jail" a try, so I went and grabbed the patches for
stable, applied them to my source tree, and did a "make buildworld".

Guess what? It failed.

The temporary object files in /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib have been
marked schg, so buildworld fails.

I wouldn't expect to be able to do a "make installworld" running under
a securelevel--in fact, I would expect I'd have to be in single user mode.

But I don't want to take my system down to single user mode for the
duration of the entire "make world" compilation. I want to do the compile,
drop to single user, install the new world, and reboot.

It really bugs me that I have to take my system down for a long time
in order to build the world. These temporary files should not be schg.

Justin