Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:24:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Peck <speck@newsindex.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring Gateway/NAT on Freebsd

> > translater for my network.
> >
> > I have added the following to the my rc.conf
> >
> > ifconfig_tun0="inet 172.168.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> This is almost certainly wrong. Isn't tun0 getting an IP through
> ppp(8) or the like? I guess I could be wrong, since the above address
> is in AOL's netblock. Do they have some odd service where you get a
> fixed dial-in IP? But my best guess is that you meant to use an
> RFC1918, unregistered address; that is not one.

yes, this was a typo on my fault in the configs it should be 172.16.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0... changing this has had no effect

> > gateway_enabled="YES"
> > natd_enabled="YES"
> > natd_ingerface="tun0"

Yes, this is typo, should be interface

> > and tun0 to my network_interfaces list.
> >
> > The box works fine on its own, but I am unable to get boxes in my
> > 172.168.0.x space to work through it.  I am confused a bit on what I need
> > to set my other boxes too, and if I am missing something on this box I
> > must do as well.
>
> You have not indicated you have ipfirewall(4) (ipfw(8)) up and
> running. However, the -nat option with ppp(8) is probably a better
> idea.

Well, I am not very concerned which method, as long as it works.  I am
working off of the FREEBSD book... Really all I want is this box in public
address space to be the gateway and natd for a network in 172.16.0.x space
behind it.

> > If it is in the 172 space, how is this box being
> > informed it shoul be listening for it, since the only the tun0 is told it
> > is attached to this IP, not the actual NIC...

> Your NIC on your private network should definately be getting an
> address from ifconfig.

  I have the NIC listening to both IP's at least in theory, 172.16.0.1 and
my public space IP... I assume that it must be listening there as well...
perhaps incorrectly.

I tried tying tun0 from 172.16.0.1 to the public IP... but still have had
no luck at all with this.

You are correct, I am a bit befuddled, the chapters on this topic in the
handbook are a bit less than excellent.

Sean