Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:37:26 -0400
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        <Ben_Calvert@amsinc.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: X for login prompt?

}-----Original Message-----
}From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of
}Ben_Calvert@amsinc.com
}Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2000 4:10 PM
}To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG; freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
}Subject: X for login prompt?
}
}can anyone help me get X set up as my login prompt?  i know,
}cli is better, but
}on my thinkpad, 640x480 is about 3x4.5 inches in the center
}of my screen, and
}highly annoying.
}
}i'm trying to use KDM, but it seems to be confused - it
}keeps trying to runn
}things inside a path that looks something like
}
}XBINDIR/something.
}
}it looks like XBINDIR should maybe be $XBINDIR and set to
}/usr/X11R6/bin ? where
}is this done? is this all because i'm just typing "kdm" as
}root instead of
}putting it in rc.conf?
}
}thanks,
}
}B
}
Ben, by searching the archives in the not so distant past, you could
have found this little tidbit of wisdom from David McNett:

<snip>
}edit the file /etc/ttys and change this line:
}
}ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
}
}to read:
}
}ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure
}Then, after you've saved that file, reboot."

You can replace xdm with kdm if you choose to use that instead. My
girlfriend is using kdm from these directions and it works fine.

-Otter