Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:12:44 -0600
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache config question

Darryl Hoar wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a Freebsd 6.0-Release system that I just
> installed.  I have installed Apache 1.3.33 from the
> ports system.
>
> I can see the index.html file when I point my browser
> to the server.  What I can't do is :
>
> browse to : http://server/cgi-bin/cscripts/myscript.cgi
>
> I get a 404 Not found.
> The requested URL /cgi-bin/myscript.cgi was not found
> on this server.
>
> The file myscript.cgi is located in the /usr/local/www/cgi-bin
> directory.  I verified this.
>
> I have added:
> <Directory "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/cscripts">
> deny from all
> Options ExecCGI
> AllowOverride AuthConfig
> Order deny,allow
> </Directory>
>
> to the http.conf file.
> I did /usr/local/sbin/apachectl stop
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start.
>
> of course /usr/local/sbin/apachectl configtest says the config file is OK.
>
> What am I missing here ?

well, is your script really in www/cgi-bin/ or is it really in
www/cgi-bin/cscripts/ ?

Your config and testing examples are not consistent as written
above. That may just be transcription error due to writing email in
a state of puzzlement/frustration, but if not, that inconsistency is
clearly part of the problem.

Also, you may have reasons for trying to do things this way, but it
is really not necessary to give any special httpd.conf directives
(e.g. ExecCGI) for subdirectories of cgi-bin, which is already
configured as a ScriptAlias by default. Everything under it is
considered to be executable if file system permissions are correct
and Apache's access controls allow entry. The configtest only tells
you that your config file is syntactically valid, not that it's the
right thing to do.

One would normally only need to add the ExecCGI option to a special
directory in your normal document space (storage areas not already
designated as ScriptAlias content), but not to children of cgi-bin.
Just make your script files executable by permissions (755) and let
the default config handle it.

In short, your config seems rather odd to me, but I'm no expert
beyond the simplest CGI needs and as I said, maybe you have reasons
for added complexity. If not, don't add complexity where not needed.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348