Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 20:01:15 -0400
From:      drifter@stratos.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sendmail header rewriting...

	Hi,

	I have a quick question here.  After a year of using FreeBSD, I
finally figured out a way to get my sendmail to route all net-bound mail
to go through my ISP's smtp port.
	I also renamed my machine from impersonating my ISP to
"somniac.org" (an unregistered domain name). The previous method worked,
but I heard that people don't like that, and that some mailers might
reject such messages.
	All seems to work fine now.  Outbound mail goes through
my ISP's smtp port, and sendmail rewrites the "From: " line of my mail
headers.
	The strange thing is if I send a message from "root@somniac.org",
it _doesn't_ get transformed to root@myisp.net.  Instead, it stays the
same. However, all other user accounts on my machine _do_ get the name
translated properly.
	Now, I don't plan on sending any mail from root to the internet,
I was just curious as to why this is so.

	I've included a copy of my .mc file below.

	-Thanks ... Rob

VERSIONID(`somniac.org.mc version 1.0')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
Cwlocalhost
Cwsomniac.org
MASQUERADE_AS(`stratos.net')dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(nodns)dnl
define(SMART_HOST, `smtp.stratos.net')
Dmsomniac.org
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`somniac.org')dnl
define(`confDELIVERY_MODE',`deferred')dnl

--
drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
     "Ever notice that in every commercial about the Internet, advertising