Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        charlespeters@tecpro.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Long Login ID's

> Is it possible to activate/allow long login names.
>
> I am setting up an email server, and would like to allow up to about
> 15 characters as an email name (ie. my email address is
> charlespeters@tecpro.com ... charlespeters is 13 characters).
>
> What about an email name with a period between the first and last
> names (ie.  charles.peters@tecpro.com).
>
> Where can I find out info on setting something like this up.

Either the FAQ answer this.  It's very easy to change the maximum number
of charecter in a username, do a  make world, and *break your system*.
The thing is, that many system utilities that come with FreeBSD
automatically assume 8 charecters in a username.

The workaround for what you're doing is this.  Create username with eight
(8) charecters, and make aliases to them with longer name in /etc/aliases.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Charles
>

> charlespeters@tecpro.com

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.