Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 20:48:14 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@dsuper.net>, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mbuf stuff.

> >    Leaving it as void is cleaner as an interface as it doesn't force other
> >    layers to have to deal with struct mbufs, and, also, if you want to pass
> >    the mbuf, nothing stops you from casting the args as an mbuf struct
> >    pointer and passing up the mbuf struct's base address. So I think that
> >    more flexibility is better in this sense.

> Makes sense, I'll be testing and hopefully have it committed sunday/monday.

Do you want to commit the slip abuse stuff with it, or should I do
that now? I've been testing it and it works fine. I've started
testing the mbuf external reference counting patches and they seem
to work. I've read through them and have a few comments, but other
than that they seem fine.

	David.

/usr/src/sys/alpha/alpha/machdep.c

        When calculating mb_map_size it doesn't add space for
        sizeof (union mext_refcnt)

/usr/src/sys/kern/uipc_mbuf.c

        The mbstat sysctl stuff is made read only. This seems
        sensible, as it doesn't make sense to write to I guess.

/usr/src/sys/netkey/key_debug.c

        Should we consider printing the pointer to the ref_cnt pointer?

/usr/src/sys/pc98/i386/machdep.c

        Same as alpha - mb_map_size doesn't account for mext_refcnt.

/usr/src/sys/sys/mbuf.h

        The call to _MEXTFREE in MFREE is wrapped in braces, which
        I think goes against style(9).

        Should we comment the fact that _MEXTFREE has to be called
	at splimp?

/usr/src/usr.bin/netstat/mbuf.c

	The printf refers to "reference count structs" - should that be
	"reference count unions" or maybe just "reference counters" incase
	the way they are counted changes.