Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:25:56 -0600
From:      Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wireless lan solutions

On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 11:34:26PM +0200, Guido van Rooij wrote:
> I am thinking of buying a wireless lan setup for my home. It will serve
> 2-3 laptops at most. I am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions
> on prices/technology.

I have a wireless lan running in my house, using about 1.5 year
old technology.

I have two OTC telecom (http://www.ezylink.com/) AirEZY2400s plugged
into two hubs via crossover cables.  The advantage that thse wireless
LAN boxes have is that you plug 10baseT into them.  No special
drivers needed.  Disadvantage is that they cost more than the
radio-only units.

I could improve performance by setting up a bridge (picobsd? :-),
but haven't found the need to.  The 2400s are rated at 2Mpbs raw,
1Mbps is what you should see (according to the marketing specs).
I've not done thorough tests, so I cannot really say the specific
speeds you'll really see.  When using one of these to my FreeBSD
laptop, I could tell a performance difference in X from another
machine (copmpared to a 10Mbps ethernet), but it was livable.  I
have not tried NFS across it.

RadioLan was selling a 10Mbps product a while ago, but they were
not helpful with supplying info so I could write a FreeBSD driver.
They claim to have a product which does not need special drivers,
but I have not checked it out.  I was a little grumpy at their
attitude (sales person says, ``sure, we'll provide the info for
you to write a driver'', once I bought a pair the story changed.
I sent them back).

Kenneth