Date:      	Tue, 14 Feb 1995 18:39:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@haven.uniserve.com>
To:        Jon Cargille <jcargill@cs.wisc.edu>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Network gurus: How hard to split bandwidth across modems?

On Tue, 14 Feb 1995, Jon Cargille wrote:

> One thing I'm wondering, though; would an implementation of
> Multilink-PPP talk happily to the load-sharing stuff that a NetBlazer
> implements?  Or is that a proprietary thing?  Does anyone know the
> details on what their bandwidth splitting does?  (In case you haven't
> guessed yet, the other end of my connection is a blazer...  Thus my
> high degree of personal interest in what it implements...  ;-)

  After having much grief with two Netblazer (a PN-2 and a ST), running a
load-balanced SLIP link over two 28.8k modems.  Netblazer's use a very
simple algorithm, if a output buffer on the first interface exceeds a
certain level, try the next interface (on a packet by packet basis).  The
maximum buffer levels are configurable.
  So under low load, a Netblazer will only use the first line.  Netblazer's
can be configured to bring up additional lines if load exceeds a certain
limit.

Tom