Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:30:59 -0400
From:      "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
To:        'Lamont Granquist' <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Did someone break TCP?

Lamont Granquist [mailto:lamont@scriptkiddie.org] wrote:

> I've got an IRC server with a few days of uptime now after
> upgrading to
> both FBSD 4.6 and ircd-hybrid 6.3 out of the ports tree.
> Tonight I found
> that I couldn't login, TCP wasn't completing the 3-way
> handshake (no RST,
> no SYN|ACK).  Stopping the service and restarting it fixed
> the problem.
> At this point it looks like TCP freaked out.
>
> I tried multiple different ways to login to the ircd, both
> remotely, from
> the local box and from behind the machine that it acts as a
> firewall for.
> All the users reported a 3+ hour outage prior to me finding
> the problem.
> There was nothing that I was doing to the box at the time.
> This has been
> previously stable hardware.

Hi!  This sounds like a problem I'm having on a FreeBSD 4.5-p6 (actually,
any of the patch levels) box.  After a few days, it just drops off the
network.  If I try to ping anything, I get an error "no buffer space
available" (I think -- I'm remembering this off the top of my head).  I've
written about this a number of times, and no one has been able to suggest a
solution.  I've discovered that running tcpdump will force the computer to
reconnect to the network, so the best that I've been able to do (which cures
the symptoms, but not the problem) is to run 'tcpdump -c 10' via cron every
two hours or so...

If you do figure out what causes this, _please_ let me know.  I would
_really_ like to see this fixed...

Thanks,
Ricky