Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:05:25 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfirewall won't load rules

Cliff Addy wrote:

> I've just built our first 2.2.5 server.  I believe I set it up just like
> our 2.2.2 servers, but it won't load ipfw rules from rc.firewall like the
> older machines do.
>
> I know the kernel config is fine because I can manually load rules using
> ipfw from the command line after it boots and all works well then.
>
> In rc.conf, I've got
>
>   firewall="client"

	I believe this is your problem. In 2.2.5 the format of the rc.conf file
changed in several places. The following are the firewall related
options in 2.2.5-Stable:

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="client"
firewall_quiet="NO"

	All of these options are case sensitive, so be careful to match the
type of firewall with the corresponding text in rc.firewall. I think
that you will probably have more problems than just this one if you
copied your rc.conf file directly to the new system. You might want to
download the src files for /etc from the ftp site and diff them with
what you have to be on the safe side.

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest