Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:17:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@aecinfo.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: make world failing because of missing unroff

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> hmm... then again, maybe it was the silly person who changed the defaul doc
> format to HTML in /etc/make.conf. Fixing this, doing a (cd /usr/src ; make
> update ; make world) seems to have worked. But still... why would something
> in the system be called an external program only found in ports?

Perhaps because it's not an officially-supported option. Or perhaps it was
supposed to be, but has rotted.

If you're talking about:

# Default format for system documentation, depends on your printer.
# Set this to "ascii" for simple printers or screen
#
#PRINTERDEVICE= ps

then AFAIK the only two supported options are those referenced: ascii and
ps. Patches to make others work may be welcome - talk to the
doc@freebsd.org guys.

Documentation building has ample precedent for external dependencies - the
entire doc/ tree needs several ports installed to build. I'm sure there
are other examples in the tree.

Kris

----
XOR for AES -- join the campaign!