Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:18:51 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@sremick.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Screen size

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:23:08 -0500, Talbot wrote:

> I recently installed FreeBSD 4.5 with desk top KDE using a CD that
> came with the book, FreeBSD Unleashed, by Michael Urban and Brian
> Tiemann.  Everything seemed to go fine until I execute startx.
> The desktop environment on my screen "seems" to be at least four
> times as big as it should be, displaying only the top left portion
> of the desktop.
>
> The strange part of this problem is that the install program displays
> all of the display option screens in the correct size and font.
>
> Any advice to get me going will be appreciated.

I dunno if it will help, but I do all my X configs by-hand. I've never had
good luck with the GUI configuration tools or the text-mode utilities. I
just dive in and edit the file by-hand and it works every time.

You can scroll down to the relevant portion of this speed-through I did up
a while back (which is probably due for a new version when I get time):

http://www.vtbsd.net/ipw-web/portal/cms/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpag
e&pid=5

Good luck!