Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:35:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Douglas Hall <doug@fearless.org>
To:        Paul Thornton <prt@prt.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic with PNPBIOS on Sony Vaio

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Paul Thornton wrote:

> I don't want to send pages of verbose debug to the list, but I booted the
> notebook using serial console and captured the output - the debug (and kernel
> config) is stashed at: http://www.prt.org/vaio-panic.txt - so if anyone has
> any bright ideas I'm sure that Doug and I would be very glad to hear of them.

I followed the suggestion about using the latest acpi patches on the
stable kernel.

This resolves the problems with the kernel panics when using 'options
PNPBIOS'.  However using ACPI brings its own problems, such panicing when
I go to battery power from mains, or plugging in the memorystick.  I'm not
too bothered about this given that the code is from -current.

Unfortunately the sound still doesn't work though:

pcm0:play:0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel 82801CA (ICH3)) at io 0x1c00, 0x18c0 irq 9 bufsz 16384 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)

Is that of any use to anyone? I can provide further testing if necessary..

-Douglas