Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:39:43 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Alexander Matthaei <Alex@Matthaei.org>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installation problems

On Sunday 07 December 2003 01:28 pm, Alexander Matthaei wrote:
r systems, so I downloaded
> freebsd. I still got windows, but BSD has its own partition.
> BSD works, but the problem is that I canīt install many programs,
> like KDE or Gnome.
> Also, the X window server doesnīt work proper.

freebsd-newbies is not the right list to ask these questions. Our
purpose here is more for "chatting" and discussion.

If I were you, I would join the freebsd-kde or freebsd-gnome lists to
ask about installing KDE or GNOME. But you will need to provide more
information. It's nice knowing what graphic card you have, but also of
importance is how you're trying to install the software, and what error
messages you are receiving.

Get your X server working first before you move on to KDE or GNOME. The
FreeBSD Handbook and FAQ has some very good information on setting up
XFree86.

David