Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 21:01:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to actually link with GLX library?

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Vallo Kallaste wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 10:33:10AM +0300, Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > However, buying more memory might not help automatically.  IIRC,
> > be able to fix this in the configuration, though), and the GLX driver
> > developers have not tested with more than 8MB (obviously if it didn't
> > work that would be a bug and could be fixed).
>
> I've just read about pseudoDMA on the address
> http://glx.on.openprojects.net/faq.html and noticed that my glx module
> reports pseudoDMA. Here are the lines the module reports:

> So what the pseudoDMA means and how this can affect me? The other detail
> is "No sysmemheap" message, can somebody enlighten me :_). The address
> above contains some instructions for Linux folks to reserve some MB of
> physical memory to G200 DMA operations. Does it work for FreeBSD also?

As I understand it, the g200 driver uses DMA to push commands out to the
card. Since the all-singing all-dancing DRI dma engine isn't released yet,
this means using a hack to reserve a suitable piece of physical memory and
running the DMA from that. If such a block of memory is not found, I think
they fall back to the 'pseudoDMA' which puts the commands into a regular
memory buffer and then later pushes them into the card's fifo by hand.
Needless to say, this doesn't allow best performance.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com