Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:57:28 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        jon@dookie.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] Upgrading KDE and QT from packages-stable

Jonathan Belson wrote:

> Hiya
>
> I recently upgraded my 3.4 RELEASE installation to the packages of kde
> and
> qt from packages-stable so I could install kdevelop.
>
> Although kde and kdevelop appear to work fine on my upgraded machine,
> whenever I try to compile a kde app, it crashes on instantiation of the
> KApplication object.
>
> This suggests to me there is a library conflict somewhere - but what's
> causing
> it?  I should be able to upgrade in this way, surely?  The only
> solution I can
> see is going back to the standard 3.4 release.

I keep my ports current, which is what that "tag=." basically means. I
have KDE and kdevelop on both 3.4-Stable and 4.0-Stable. Everything
was built using the port sources. I add them on one machine and ftp
the distfiles to the other. You have a number of files such as
kdelibes, docs, and etc. that are needed. I also think you need
something like lesstif installed and then add "HAVE_MOTIF=YES" in
/etc/make.conf.

The only problem I am aware of is with the CDROM player and cddb. The
cddb people changed their URL from www.cddb.com to cddb.cddb.com. Once
you change that and chose update, cddb will show what audio cdrom you
are playing.

They run just fine.

Kent

> C-YA
> Jon
>
> <http://www.dookie.demon.co.uk>;

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html