Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 1998 07:16:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Sun Floppy?

>Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 11:18:09 -0500
>From: Bob Alberti <alberti@freenet.msp.mn.us>

>Hi!  I recently came into an old SparcClassic.  I'd like to install FreeBSD
>on it.  Is there any way to build a floppy image to start the process,
>particularly if one must use a PC to build the floppy?  The machine itself
>has a blank 300 MB hard drive and no CD.

I have no reason to believe that the machine has any provision for
booting from floppy.  (Booting from a floppy, in that environment, is
even more of an unnatural act than trying to use one in multi-user
mode.)

Your boot options are the network, the disk drive, or CD (which may be
attached via the SCSI connector, though it will need to be set up for
512-byte blocks).

The site http://www.sunhelp.com/ has a large variety of useful pointers.

There is also a mailing list for folks interested in FreeBSD on SPARC
machines; it's freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org.

david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168