Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:55:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: btokup().. patch to STYLE(9) (fwd)

Matthew Dillon once stated:

=    The changes seem pretty reasonable, to me. I don't see why you are
=    so rabid about not allowing a few extra braces for clarity. It
=    would make the code more readable.

Somehow, this just reminded me of the US Communication Decency Act,
where indecency was defined by "community standards". The opponents
were pointing out, that the "communities" are different, and something
originating in a place where it is deemed "decent" would be prosecuted
because it is deemed "indecent" in some other "community".

It appears, there are at least two communities here, trying to adopt a
single law (style-document) based on the notion of "readable" by the
"community standards".

Everybody's goal is to keep/make code readable (accusations of "trying
to obfuscate" are silly). You, people, are just not agreeing what
"readable" means. Hoping to aid in the ending of this thread(s),

	-mi

=    Besides, a great deal of the preexisting code already uses braces
=    even in single statement if()'s... and a great deal does not.