Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:36:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Willtor <willtor@mac.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP stalls during install of 4.3

Things to check might be network settings.  How do you connect to the
Internet?  If you go through ethernet, you might have a duplex mis-match
problem.  This can lead to stalling file transfers.  Also, if you go out
over a T1 line, you might be experiencing a line code mismatch, timing
problem, or repeater problem.  You can test for these using extended pings
with the -p option.  Run with:

-p 00
-p ff
-p 40
-p aa
-p 11

To test all problematic data patterns.

Also, if you do an Alt+F2 while it's installing, do you see any errors or
warnings on the screen?  It could also be an overwhelmed FTP server.  You
may also want to try one of the mirrors.

Joe Clarke