Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:45:05 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, "O.Trofileeva" <olq@sinshost.sins.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD against Linux

On Friday,  3 December 1999 at 11:09:09 +1100, Danny wrote:
> At 12:47 2/12/99 +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:14:11 +0300, "O.Trofileeva" wrote:
>>
>>> My question is global. What operational system is better: FreeBSD or Linux?
>>> What are advantages and disadvantages of each one?
>>
>> Asking that question here is more than likely to annoy lots of people
>> with a thread in which unqualified bigots offer you uneducated opinions.
>>
>> Do yourself a favour and search the world-wide web, then try both
>> platforms for yourself or choose the one that seems to fit your
>> requirements given the opinions and commentary of others.
>>
>>> Where can I get such a comparative evaluation?
>>
>> Benchmarks can be constructed in such as way as to make either operating
>> system outperform the other.  Your question can't be answered outside of
>> the context of your requirements.
>>
>> This is really old news in the freebsd-questions mailing list archives,
>> by the way.  Do you know that you can search the archives at:

> The only way you can find out for yourself:-
>
> Borrow a copy of Linux and a copy of Freebsd for whatever job you
> have in mind. Then do a parallel implementation where you run both
> Linux and Freebsd at the same time then make a rational decision and
> take down Linux or Freebsd depending on what the better platform is.

Also, if you want to prefer FreeBSD, install it first, and then get to
know it.  Then install Linux; you'll hate it.  On the other hand, if
you install Linux first and get to know it, and then install FreeBSD,
you'll hate FreeBSD.

A lot of preferences are really "what you're used to".  It's very
difficult to be objective.

Greg