Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 10:22:23 +0930
From:      "Daniel J. O'Connor" <doconnor@ist.flinders.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Divert sockets..

> The File Notification scheme (useful for Terry's file browser) may have used
> this messaging scheme as well (I honestly don't remember). You certainly
I think it does...

> could be notified of disk change events (floppy insert/removal, later
> removable HD change) through messages.
>
> Now, here's the question: How difficult would it be to do something like this
> ?
> It would take some sort of shared memory or other scheme to get the data from
> one program to another. Or would that be too general? How about just a scheme
> to get messages to and from the kernel?
Yeah, the Amiga had the 'advantage' of having no memory protection(at
all), so you could just pass pointers around =)
Maybe the kernel could manage this stuff for your program, or perhaps
someone could write a library to hide all the shared memory stuff(ie use
SysV IPC calls, but abstract them in a library).

> I love my Amiga, still use it. In fact, I just got NetBSD up and running on i
> day before yesterday. Bonus.
Wohoo! Another amiga freak ;)

Seeya
Darius