Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:24:03 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "Michael J. Walsh" <mike@walshm.npt.nuwc.navy.mil>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is my new kernel so big?

>> Then I decided to configure my kernel for SMP.  I followed the procedure
>> listed in Greg Lehey's book (3-rd edition) for rebuilding the
>> kernel; specifically, I

>Somehow you've built a debug kernel. did you do ``config -g'' or have

He said he followed the instructions in the Lehey book.  Those
instructions include:

# /usr/sbin/config -g FREEBIE

Mike, take a look at the paragraphs following that line.  They explain
why Greg thinks you should use -g.  If you want to save that space,
leave out the -g.  What the book doesn't tell you is that it doesn't
work to just re-do the config without -g.  If you've used it before it
gets "remembered" somewhere for the future.  You can remove the
/usr/src/sys/compile/FREEBIE directory, reconfigure without -g and
proceed from there.

-Mitch