Date:      Sat, 04 Sep 1999 13:06:15 +0200
From:      Eric MASSON <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        charon@freethought.org, Mark Allen Cockrum <n9842643@cc.wwu.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd/WinNT question..

Hi,

> NT can convert FAT->NTFS. I can't remember the name of the prog
> but I think it is an option in the Properties dialogue of a (FAT)
> drive.

You definitely don't want to do that, NTFS has the equivalent of FAT,
named the MFT (Master File Table) that should be at the start of
partition to ensure better perfs. Converting FAT to NTFS makes the MFT
being created where there are available clusters and then makes it
fragmented. NT and NTFS aren't quite reliable (boot every week at least
and chkdsk on all volumes to avoid problems), so avoid giving them more
reasons no to work properly.

Eric MASSON
--
Any opinions expressed above  | Murphy's Law Corollary :
are my own, not Kisoft's      | Murphy was an optimist.