Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 21:54:33 -0400
From:      "Stephen A. Derdau" <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IP Forwarding

I have two ethernet cards going. I wasn't able to hook up
my cable modem to a hub and have everthing work , I guess because
it has something to do with mac address of ethernet card .
It works nicely now with natd and two ethernet cards.
I just started natd -d -interface ed0
in /usr/local/etc/natd.sh

In my /etc/rc.conf file
I have it configure my ed1 card for ip add 192.168.10.1 etc.

My ed0 card is the card hooked up to the cable modem
I have this device remmed out
only thing I have is
network_interfaces="lo0 ed0 ed1"

#ifconfig_ed0="inet ...etc

ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.10.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"

also have gateway_enabled="YES"

Bryce Newall wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Stephen A. Derdau wrote:
>
> > We'll I just got my system up and running not that long ago
> > 1. had to install isc-dhcp2
>
> Yup, got that already installed and working.
>
> > 2. got natd working
>
> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > you want the 'natd' "Network Address Translation Daemon" program
>
> I found some info on natd just after I sent out that first mail.  However,
> I'm still a bit confused about something, from the list of requirements to
> have in place before running natd.  From what I'm reading, since my cable
> ISP uses DHCP, I'll need to run natd with the -n and -dynamic flags.
> What's getting me, though, is:
>
>  4.   If you wish to use the -n or -interface flags, make sure that your
>       interface is already configured.  If, for example, you wish to
>       specify tun0 as your interface, and you're using ppp(8) on that
>       interface, you must make sure that you start ppp prior to starting
>       natd.
>
> The problem is that the interface is *not* configured when the machine
> first boots up, or if the DHCP server decides to reboot and assign
> everyone new IPs.  While the FreeBSD box is waiting for an IP, or if the
> DHCP server reboots, the ethernet interface has a "temporary" IP of
> 0.0.0.0.  The question becomes, how do you get natd to not start until
> *after* the IP is assigned?  Or will the -dynamic switch handle that
> eventuality?
>
> Incidentally, is it still a good idea to have a second ethernet card to
> handle the "internal" network, or is one card good enough to do the job?
> Reason I ask is 'cause I'd like to configure a second IP address of
> 10.0.0.1 (with the other machines on my network being 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3,
> etc.) so that I can assign the other machines a gateway of 10.0.0.1 and
> not have to give them the actual public IP address of the ethernet
> adapter, since that's likely to change.  And I wouldn't be able to just
> assign 10.0.0.1 as an alias to the existing adapter, I think, because when
> the DHCP client gets a new IP, it'd blow away the aliased IP.  How would
> you make natd work using 2 ethernet adapters?
>
> Thanks for the help (and thanks in advance for any additional help :) ),
> Bryce

> *       Bryce Newall       *       Email: data@dreamhaven.net        *
> *               WWW: http://home.dreamhaven.net/~data                *
> *       "Insanity takes its toll.  Please have exact change."        *

When you find out the answer it's always something
you thought you knew :-)
Answers here http://www.free.bsd.org/search

Happily Running!
FreeBSD 2.2.7-STABLE #0: