Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 19:44:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0005082132120.3027-100000@picnic.mat.net> Chuck Robey writes:
: I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong, but I'm having trouble connecting
: the dots.  Is my lady informant all wet?  Or, am I misunderstanding you?

The syncing isn't for the initial sync like you are talking about.  It
is to reject messages that get to the phone by multi-path.  The phone
knows what's valid and what isn't and to do that has to know what time
it is.  It isn't to start the sync either, because of the same
multipath and atmospherics introducing variations in the propigation
times.  There are also some other uses for timing that I know I've
forgotten over time.

Warner