Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:52:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Custom Kernel NIC options

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Duke Normandin wrote:

> Device ie0 is recorded in LINT as:
>
> device ie0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 5 iomem 0xd0000
>
> I modified the above in my (yet-to-be compiled) custom kernel  to:
>
> device ie0 at isa? port 0x310 net irq 5 iomem 0xc0000
>
> to reflect my NIC's current configuration.
>
> Am allowed to do this, or should I make the NIC conform to the LINT/GENERIC
> device configuration?
>
> -duke

Hi Duke,

You can indeed modify parameters in this way.  The only other alternative
is to change them via the userconfig at bootup (ala boot -c), or edit
/boot/kernel.conf directly then reboot, but compiling the defaults
directly into your kernel is a much more elegant solution.

If you're ever in doubt, you can always try a compile without make
install.  If the make fails where it didn't before, chances are your
config is incorrect.

And, if the kernel compiles and installs, but you have still really fouled
something up (incorrect/conflicting address, or you remove something silly
like your hard drive controller), and your system doesn't boot, you can
always reset and specify a different kernel.  (If you don't delete it,
kernel.old will be your kernel as it was before the last recompile).
kernel.GENERIC should be kept around as a last-best-hope for booting if
your new/old kernels won't boot.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  50% Owner, Technical and Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2