Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 08:05:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/linux linux_sysvec.c

[ Moved to -arch ]

On Sat, 12 May 2001, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2001, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
> > deischen    2001/05/11 20:23:14 PDT
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     sys/i386/linux       linux_sysvec.c
> >   Log:
> >   Preserve the state of the %gs register when setting up the signal
> >   handler in Linux emulation.  According to bde, this is what Linux
> >   does.
> >
> >   Recent versions of linuxthreads use %gs for thread-specific data,
> >   while FreeBSD uses %fs (mostly because WINE uses %gs).
>
> I think FreeBSD should use %gs too (except I think segment registers
> should never be used).  Are there different compatibility problems
> with WINE?

Using %gs is OK by me.  I've never used WINE, so I'm not sure how it
uses %gs.  I think Terry raised the issue when we were discussing
which register to use on -arch, and at the time nobody seemed to care
if we used %fs or %gs.

I suppose using %gs would conflict with WINE if it ever relied on our
native threads libraries.  But since Linux uses %gs, and WINE is more
likely to run under Linux than anything else, it would seem safe for
FreeBSD to use %gs also.

--
Dan Eischen