Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 18:06:35 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Documentation about nolisten option? (was: Re: startup Kde??)

On 7/20/00, 3:31:47 PM, Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de> wrote=20
regarding Documentation about nolisten option? (was: Re: startup Kde??):=

> Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
> > 2) issue such a command as 'startx -- -nolisten tcp' (you will
> > understand yourself the reason for this a little later);

> I looked for the option nolisten in the man-pages for startx, xinit=20
and
> X, but have not found it yet. Can you give me a hint, where in the doc=
=20
> can read about this option?

> Ciao
> Siegbert

Hello Siegbert,

Actually, I learned about the nolisten option reading -security. I=20
don't know whether the option is documented at all, however.=20

In Peter Radcliffe's own words:

In this day and age I _strongly_ suggest starting X with '-nolisten=20
tcp'
and using the unix domain socket to talk to the X server. This even
works cleanly with X forwarding over ssh.

This will stop X clients on another machine displaying on your's=20
(unless
you use ssh forwarding) but I never do that anyway ...

The name "nolisten" is self-explanatory enough: if you issue a netstat=20
-an [| more], you can see its effect.=20

Best regards,
Salvo