Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:38:10 -0600
From:      Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipnat+ipfw  + 3 gateways

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 06:01:08PM -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> I think you are confused. IPNAT is part of ipfilter firewall  and
> IPFW is an different firewall who has his own NATD function. You can
> not use one part from one and the other part from the other one.
> They work as an set,  IPNAT/IPFILTER or IPFW/NATD. Your best bet is
> to use IPNAT and it's firewall IPFILTER.

Not necessarily true. I'm using IPF for packet filtering, IPNAT for NAT,
and IPFW for traffic shaping on the same firewall.

The order that a packet is mangled becomes important, but that's solved
simply by being careful when designing the firewall.

-T

--
Draw bamboos for ten years, become a bamboo, then forget all about bamboos
when you are drawing.