Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 19:04:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Terry Lambert wrote:

[snip]

>Much of the existing "AntiSPAM" practice, while it has been truly
>well intentioned, has resulted in a balkanization of email
>connectivity, to the point that the Internet really no longer
>meets its initial design goals, at least in as far as email is
>concerned.  Having only a single path between all servers for
>any given source and destination email address is broken.

I would submit that the "internet" is no longer functioning as it was
intended, although it seems to have met it's design goals too well.
The bulkanization of email, as you call it, strikes me as a reasonable
situation in the face of people who now expect me to pay for the
receipt and distribution of their advertising. What the average
spammer does, is steal my resources and bandwidth for their own gain.
An ISP who allows that activity is an accessory to the theft.

Your credentials idea is more abominable than the spammers. It would,
in fact, be one more trackable datum that would surely be abused by
government pinheads with too much time on their hands.

The single path notion sounds a lot like UUCP, which has, and still,
works quite well. If the socialization of the internet becomes more of
a reality, it may be a worthy alternative.

-- Jay