Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:41:54 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

> 	I ran into some problems with a number of things that had changed
> in the format of kernel configs, but the biggest thing I've run
> across so far is the fact that Berkeley Packet Filtering (bpf) is now
> enabled by default, as opposed to disabled by default.
>
> 	This opens a *huge* security risk for anyone who doesn't
> reconfigure their kernel or doesn't fully comprehend the potential
> danger here.

Actually, if you'd followed the discussions that preceeded the change,
or just thought about it for a minute, you'd realise that this isn't
the case at all.  By the time an attacker has enough access rights on
your system to make use of the packet filter, they have enough access
rights to add it if it's not there.

>  Are we really sure that the FreeBSD Inc. has
> sufficiently increased it's liability insurance to cover the
> potentially multi-million dollar lawsuits that might result from this
> change?

You should go back and read the BSD license again, I think.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org