Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:24:33 -0400
From:      "Brent Bailey" <brentb@loa.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel -security

thanx   :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To: Brent Bailey <brentb@loa.com>
Cc: <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 7:32 PM

Brent Bailey <brentb@loa.com> types:
> I recently install 4.3 FBSD an i noticed you have the option of picking
> "type of security"   i chose "extreme"  and all it really does is add
> kern_securelevel="2"
> kern_securelevel_enable="YES"

It does a little bit more than that. See <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq/install.html#SECURITY-
PROFILES
> for details.

> to the /etc/rc.conf  file.....my question is what advantages as far as
> security does this offer ??   I also installed IPFW w/ NAT  and a few
other
> measures to keep unwanted THINGS at bay...

NAT can do pretty much everything natd does as far as security goes,
using deny_incoming and log_denied. See the natd man page for details.

> im unclear as to what the kern security offers >??

As Bill pointed out, the init man page describes exactly what the
kernel security levels do.

<mike
--
Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more