Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:28:21 +1200
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Code Red 2 - (was : Attempted Buffer Overrun in via httpd? )

> > It smells like code red. It is a worm which tries to exploit a vulnerability
> > in M$ IIS.
>
> Ah!  Duh.  Wait, I'm catching up here...  What's the current virus
> knocking on everyone's door?  Oh yeah, _I_ remember now!  Code Red.

Although Code Red is old news (hopefully) to everyone with IIS machines in
their network I would just point out that in the last 36 hours a so called Code
Red II has arisen (if you look in your logs you'll see that some of the
default.ida attempts now have a padding of 'X' rather than 'N'). It has a much
nastier effect and rebooting ain't going to fix it. Once again the June 18 IIS
patch will avoid infection ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-033.asp

... and there's a lots of details at ...

http://www.eeye.com/html/advisories/coderedII.zip

... for people in charge of a network there's an interesting aspect to the way
it generates target IP's. Basically once it gets to a machine close to your IP
address you're going to a see a very fast ramp up in traffic. This may explain
the discrepancies in sightings which people have mentioned in earlier posts. It
certainly corresponds with I've seen here in the last 24 hours.

Just another day that I feel grateful for Apache and Unix !

Have a good one.

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46