Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:41:14 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
Cc:        bright@wintelcom.net, Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, oberman@es.net, sos@freebsd.dk, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

In message <E14cnKZ-0005ZI-00@dilbert.fcg.co.uk>, Pete French writes:
> All very interesting, but a small point has been forgotten
> hasnt it ? The way I read this thread is that until recentlly
> write-caching was enabled by default and has now been disabled (hence
> the original obseravtion of disc performance dropping).
>
> I havent noticed that FreeBSD has a bad reputation for loss of data
> in the event of am power outage, and my own experience backs this up.
> As so many people appear to have been running it this way by default until
> now you might have though that if it were a serious problem in reality then
> people would have noticed by now ?

Operating systems which write their metadata asynchronously are worse
for data loss during power failure than FreeBSD.  My experiences with
FreeBSD in this area have been excellent:  Much better data integrity
during power failure than Linux and the commercial UNIX systems.  Any
loss of data that I've experienced on a FreeBSD system has either been
a hardware problem or I have been the cause of the data loss.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC