Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:52:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jfrherve@ing.uc3m.es (Juan Rodriguez Hervella)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to mount a FreeBSD-5.1 partition from FreeBSD-4.9

> On Wednesday 21 January 2004 17:26, Sergey 'DoubleF' Zaharchenko wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:52:25 +0100
> >
> > Juan Rodriguez Hervella <jfrherve@ing.uc3m.es> probably wrote:

> > > I can not believe you !,
> > >
> > > I guess there is (or there will be) some work-in-progress to have
> > > UFS2 support on FreeBSD-4.X systems.
> >
> > If only by you:(. I'd suggest you make your 5.x partition UFS1 and be
> > satisfied with that - that's pretty much all you can do.
> >
> > > Or are we following "Windows way of life" here ?
> >
> > If 5.x couldn't understand 4.x, that would be a bad thing. But forcing
> > 5.x to be absolutely compatible with 4.x is another bad thing.
> >
> > If you were forced to stay that compatible all the time, you wouldn't be
> > able to do major architectural changes. If everyone thought the same
> > way, an Athlon or a P4 would be a 80286, only MUCH faster (which it is
> > for most olden DOS or Windows/16 programs, so your definition of
> > `Windows way of life' is definitely contrary to mine).
> >
> > You don't complain 4.x can't run 5.x binaries, do you?:)
>
> But the filesystem is a different thing, imho.
>
> For example, if you use FreeBSD-4.X you can mount
> ext2,ntfs,msdos,cd9660,smbfs..... if you use Linux, you
> can mount ufs..... what's the reason it is not possible to
> make a program which understands the UFS2 filesystem
> under FreeBSD-4.X ? Is there any tecnical barrier ? Even
> if the filesystem was mounted "read-only" (like ntfs),
> that would fit me....

Because the development track is 5.xxxx and that is where new
things are going.  The 4.xxxx track gets necessary bug and
security fixes, etc now, but not any major new features.
The 4.xxxx track will soon be completely replaced by 5.xxxx.

////jerry

> Besides, is there any way to make my UFS2 filesystem go
> back to UFS1 without losing the data ?

Just dump(8) it to a tape or other disk, create a new UFS2 file
system where the UFS2 now lives and then restore(8) the dump.