Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 23:00:54 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   netstat -m shows 64/66 mbuf clusters in use under no load

I did a fresh install yesterday of FreeBSD-2.2.7 on an Intel PR440FX-based
computer (PPro180, onboard AIC7880, onboard Intel EtherExpress Pro 100B, 128MB
RAM). The installation is pretty minimal; there isn't a whole lot running,
there's virtually no load on the box, and I'm the only one connected.

netstat -m produces the following (booting from kernel.GENERIC):

75 mbufs in use:
        66 mbufs allocated to data
        1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        7 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
        1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
64/66 mbuf clusters in use
141 Kbytes allocated to network (97% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

The 64/66 mbuf clusters in use concerns me. Why would a completely unloaded box
with a plain vanilla installation show this? I compiled a bunch of different
kernels with various values for maxusers and NMBCLUSTERS, and the output of
netstat -m was pretty much as above, even with wildly different maxusers and
NMBCLUSTERS.

Does anyone know what's happening here? Is the kernel broken? Is netstat
broken? Is there something I should check? Do I not know what the hell I'm
talking about?

Thanks in advance!

Chris Johnson