Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:29:46 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Randy Katz <randyk@ccsales.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic or Static Query???

On Thu, Feb 19, 1998 at 12:51:58PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Randy Katz wrote:
> > I have a general question about a Web Site. Should the pages be generated
> > dynamically or statically?
>
> Absolutely statically.  If your hit rate goes ballistic the instances of
> perl or sh will drag the system down way before you hit the static file
> limit.

Generally true. There are tricks you can do to speed this up. You can embed
Perl in the Apache server for example, to avoid the startup costs. This also
caches a 'compiled' version of your script, so there's no interpretation
overhead either.

Yields immense speedups.

> If the script breaks, the whole thing dies ;(

True.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
			     . . . and relax