Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:36:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, thedeck@dino.omen.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:  Turtle Beach Soundcard

> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 01:34:37 +0800 (WST)
> From: The Deck <thedeck@dino.omen.com.au>
> To: freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
> cc: freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Turtle Beach Soundcard
>
> Dear All,
>
> I'm currently helping a friend of mine embed a FreeBSD box in his car.

The problem becomes much easier if you toss the PC in the vertical
direction and drive the auto on a flat level surface at a constant
speed.  A few equations you might find useful are:

	s = 1/2at**2 + v0t + s0	(for the PC)
	v = at + v0		(for the car, if not at constant speed)
	f = ma			(for the impact)

The trick is to drive at a high velocity, then toss the PC up and
get out of the way.  The general idea is to *only* embed the PC
into the car and not the installer.

Of course, there is another approach.  You could park the auto
outside a tall building.  Then take the elevator to the roof
and toss the PC onto the auto.  This ``top/down'' method would
preferred by some programmers; but, in my opinion the installer
would be too far away to fully appreciate the embedding process.

> The machine in question will be connected to a rather large stereo
> system, and he says a Turtle Beach soundcard (Daytona) would work nicely.

I agree, the Turtle Beach sound card would work nicely.  Quality
audio of the embedding process is essential. Having both quality
audio and video would be even better.  Would you be so kind
as to put an mpeg file of the embeding process out on a web site
somewhere for all of us to enjoy?  There are many days when I
would actually like to watch such a multimedia presentation.

Thanks in advance :-).

	-Jim